Do you have a passion for the outdoors and want to share it with others?
Consider applying to join the 2013 Outdoor Afro Leadership Team today!
In 2012, we successfully launched the volunteer Outdoor Afro Leadership Team of 13 folks – the OALT, who formed a team of “experience ambassadors” for Outdoor Afros all around the country. Between May and December of 2012, this team led 500 people to nature right in their own backyards, many for the first time, thanks to these inspiring outdoor role models and our generous sponsors! (see below!)
As you know, Outdoor Afro supports a vision of outdoor recreation and conservation engagement for everyone, especially for the African American community. At Outdoor Afro, we can provide leaders a platform and the support to help others reconnect to natural spaces right where they live. Leaders can learn to be a role model for camping, hiking, kayaking, birding, fishing — or any other recreational activity to share with others.
We are specifically interested in leaders who can represent the New York, Washington DC, and Pacific Northwest regions, but members from all US metropolitan regions are welcome to apply!
Here is what we require:
- Facilitate 1-2 OA sponsored events every two months
- Contribute to blog entries and social media
- Participate in a monthly conference call with other OA Leaders
- Help to further the mission and exposure of OA throughout local communities
Leader perks include:
- Select FREE premium gear and supplies from sponsors KEEN Shoes, REI, and Clif Bar
- Professional support, coaching, and outdoor skills development opportunities
- The ability to make a tangible and positive difference for communities and the natural world
Apply now to join our diverse team from around the nation to bring the outdoors to more people in your community.
Next Steps to be Eligible for Consideration:
- Complete the application and submit via email by Friday February 22nd and participate fully in the interview process via video conference
- Be available for a mandatory in–person training from April 19-21 in Northern California
The 2013 Class of Outdoor Afro Leaders will be confirmed and announced in March, 2013.
For any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The Outdoor Afro Leadership Team is possible because of the generous support of: