Introducing the Outdoor Afro Leadership Team for 2013!
A human rights attorney in San Francisco, a mom in Memphis, and an accountant from Chicago have something important in common…
They are a part of the Outdoor Afro Leadership Team to reconnect African Americans in their community back to nature! A total of 13 individuals were hand-picked out of a generous pool of applicants from around the United States to join the team. This 2013 class represents a variety of backgrounds, outdoor expertise, and key urban centers from around the country. Continuing the success of the previous pilot year, each leader is tasked to help expand the national Outdoor Afro network by leading trips, sharing experiences via social media, and forging partnerships with relevant outdoor organizations and groups.
Think: nature ambassadors.
The 2013 Leaders:
- Alisha Pye, Los Angeles, CA – Mother of two and Pilates instructor
- Beky Branagan, Cary, NC – Girl Scout leader and environmental educator
- Clay Anderson, Bay Area, CA – Former park naturalist, ecologist, and artist
- Clif DeBride, Portland, OR – Medical school student, and certified backcountry leadership instructor
- Clifton Sorrell, Richmond, CA – Father of five; landscape architect and Boy Scout Leader
- Melissa Danielle, Brooklyn, NY – Health coach and organic food buying club organizer
- Nkrumah Frasier, Hattiesburg, MS – Father and environmental scientist
- Reginald Mitchell, Atlanta, GA – US Military veteran, and Director of “We Love To Hike”
- Tan Scarborough, Memphis TN –Mother of two, beauty consultant and daycare owner
- Teresa Baker, Bay Area, CA – Housing coordinator and National Park champion
- Vi Yeboah, Chicago, Ill – Accountant, auditor, beach lover, and conservationist
- Victoria Evans, Pittsburgh, PA – Active grandmother and employee of the USDA Forest Service
- Zoe Polk, San Francisco, CA – Outdoor enthusiast and human rights attorney
We would like to thank our sponsor staff and volunteers for their generous time, creativity, and resources to make this idea come to life!
REI, KEEN Footwear, Clif Bar, The Sierra Club, Swarovski Optik, The National Parks, Dr. Carolyn Finney, Dr. Nina Roberts, Golden Gate Audubon Society, Toyota Audubon Together Green, National Wildlife Federation – California, Danielle Moody-Mills, and the many generous donors who supported us via Indiegogo – THANK YOU!